Weekly blog #11

Networking in social media differs in professional settings than in private settings. One of the biggest takeaways I learned from this course is creating and shaping an appropriate public social media image to best realize one’s professional interests. I finally decided to start my professional networking on Twitter this year because of this course; although not much information has been presented in it, I have to start somewhere.
For my personal use of social media, I have been more aware of the presence of media literacy. I became more aware of how news and apps like Tiktok could mislead users by using baits for commercial and political interests. Though some of us may be very conscious about what’s happening, our growing dependence on these sources of information would eventually change our ideas and the way we look at things.
The article also gives advice on being a good digital leader. It encourages leaders to think of anything from the perspective of “we” instead of “I” in teamwork. It also reveals the necessity to create awareness and engagement to realize the best outcomes. I would say communication and the patience to clarify are essential in any kind of teamwork.
I also learned that expanding and diversifying our PLN could eliminate personal bias and stereotypical views. As the article indicates, social relation is the key to any success. My next step is to build connections with more experts in the education field by networking online via emails and tweets. I would also use Uvic’s Co-op portal to participate in events and workshops to gain experience and insight while seeking job opportunities.

Reference:
Digital Leader: 5 Simple Keys to Success & Influence Ch. 16 Qualman, Erik – Empower Others https://learning-oreilly-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/library/view/digital-leader-5/9780071792424/ch16.html#ch16