Weekly blog #7

Social media has become the dominant source of news. In the article, Hirst states that newspapers, televisions, and other traditional media channels are longer popular; social media and online video platforms such as Facebook, Snapchat, and Youtube have become the dominant powers in the media industry. When I first learned about the “Tweet President,” Donald Trump, I really took him as an entertainer and considered his acts unserious and unprofessional. However, after being challenged by EDCI 338, my views started to change. Trump was a successful businessman who has a large PLN even before he was elected to the U.S. President. After becoming the President, he used Twitter to expand his PLN by tagging and interacting with other political figures. The use of social media amplified his voice, and he earned much political support. However, it is evident that his acts on Twitter also attracted much hatred and controversies. The use of social media as a mainstream of news could be devastating in this situation. Public natural trust in governmental officials such as the President could lead to trust in misguided information. Though one could argue that traditional channels also operate on a political basis, I would say that social media reduces the difficulty of entering the media industry. In other words, everyone could be a reporter or a writer on social media. It becomes harder to distinguish between real and fake news, which is mentioned as “The New Media Crisis” in Hirst’s article. Jody Vance also reflected this change in the industry, and it has brought up challenges against her.

To resolve the trust crisis of new media, the solutions lie under the definition of media literacy. Hirst defines media literacy as taking responsibility individually and collectively. Therefore, I would argue that individuals should develop the ability to distinguish fake news and authentic news. (e.g., identifying publishers, cross-checking multiple resources, and considering potential political means) On a collective level, I do believe a more strict and constructed surveillance department is necessary for the new media industry. A trust system should be established to support authorized publishers. The establishment of such a system of an institution can also reduce vicious competitors, who often use fake news to attract audiences in the new media industry.

Reference

Vance, Jody & Miller, J. “EDCI 338 – 2021 – 03 – 21 JODY VANCE.” 03 Mar. 2021. doi: https://.youtube.com/watchv=dgZOJgJKdyl&feature=youtu.be
Hirst, M. (2018). Navigating Social Journalism: A Handbook for Media Literacy and Citizen Journalism (1st ed.). Routledge. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.4324/9781315401263

2 thoughts on “Weekly blog #7”

1. It is evident that the use of social media has amplified the spread of fake news. With so many people being involved in the internet, then the use of social media sites means that it can have significant impact to the society when used in the wrong way. Especially for the case of a politician, it is easier to insight violence and crime through the use of social media. However I believe this can be monitored and controlled through the use of certain policies.

2. Thanks for commenting Cynthia. That’s exactly what I want to convey, claims made by politicians and political institutions are not under strict surveillance and consideration. Little limitations and attempts have been made to elevate the authenticity of political leaders’ speech on the internet while their immense impact could mislead the public.